Glitter lipsticks are our all-time favorite makeup products, as they help us dazzle and accentuate our glowy personalities at special events. As many of you may have noticed, the social media is full of gorgeous glitter lip makeup looks, which include both ultra-bold glitter lips, and subtler, almost imperceptible touches of glitter lipsticks. But how do you wear the glitter lip makeup look without looking overly festive, and which are the best glitter lipsticks to embrace the trend?
Since the sparkly lip makeup look is here to stay (at least up until next summer, given the latest runway shows), here’s how to get the covetable glitter lip look like a pro!
Glitter Lip Makeup Guide: Contents
13 Best Glitter Lipsticks to Buy
As you will discover below, glitter lipsticks are not to be feared. So why not pamper yourself with one? These are the best glitter lipsticks for you to step in the sparkly zone!
1. MAC Snow Ball Lipstick
Let’s start off our glitter lipstick selection with an all-time classic, i.e. MAC’s Snow Ball lipstick! Soft, creamy, and utterly elegant, it is any girl’s best friend, and can be found at Nordstrom!
2. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Starlit Hyper-Glitz Lipstick in Sci-Fly
The newest Fenty Beauty line is on everyone’s lips, indeed! For her beauty debut Rihanna surprised us with glitter lipsticks aplenty, among which her acclaimed Sci-Fly is definitely the one that is highly requested and coveted. Extravagant yet classy, you can get it at Sephora.
3. Ciaté London Glitter Flip in Fortune
From Sephora, you can also find Ciaté London’s glitter lipstick line, among which this dark purple tube has the right metallic matte undertone that is just the extra dose of flawlessness we all need.
4. Urban Decay Vice Glitter Lip Topcoat in Regulate
Urban Decay is always a guarantee whenever it comes to quality lipsticks, and those who love collecting gorgeous lipstick tubes will find this long-lasting, water-resistant sparkly lip top coat the way to go, for sure. Apply it over any of your favorite lipsticks or just a transparent lip balm, and you’ll transform your regular lip makeup to a dazzling one! You can get yours at Nordstrom.
5. Stila Glitterati Lip Top Coat
Form one gorgeous packaging to another, Stila’s Glitterati top coat will transform any matte lipstick to a glittery look, which is good news indeed for those who love changing their makeup look throughout the day. You can get it at Revolve.
6. NARS Lip & Cheek Stick in Orgasm
Peachy pink, classy, and easy to use, NARS’ Orgasm glitter stick is available at NARS Cosmetics, and is one of the best sparkly lipsticks for daytime, hands down. It features a very delicate golden shimmer perfect for everyday wear, and what’s more, it’s also a cheek product, coming to add a subtle veil of sparkle over your blush.
7. MAC Trend Lipstick in Spoiled Fabulous
Are you looking for something extravagant yet not overly exuberant? Then try MAC’s Spoiled Fabulous, a glitter lipstick, the moisturising formula and one-of-a-kind yellow color of which will look good on any skin tone. You can find it at MAC Cosmetics!
8. Clinique Soft Shine Lipstick in Heather Moon
If you are looking for something to complement your best Nineties-inspired outfits, head over to Sephora and grab Clinique’s Heather Moon glitter lipstick. Soft and shiny, it’s perfect for both night and daytime looks.
9. Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick in Nayeon
If you have to add a Kat Von D lipstick to your collection yet, embrace your wild side and go try her brand-new Nayeon glitter lipstick, as its catchy packaging, long-lasting formula and edgy color are absolutely to die for. You can get it at Kat Von D Beauty.
10. NARS Man Ray Photogloss Lip Color in Muse
NARS plays both on the softer and heavier sides, as proven by this extravagant, bold gold glitter lipstick that is honestly electrifying. Pick it at Net-a-Porter!
11. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Amore
Back to late Nineties/ early ‘00s approved makeup looks, Stila’s Amore glitter lipstick is highly pigmented and parabens free, which means that you’ll look good while not harming the environment. Also one of the best non-drying matte liquid lipsticks, you can find it at Sephora.
12. Rouge Dior Double Rouge Matte Metal Colour & Couture Contour Lipstick in Matte Metal
One of the couture-inspired best glitter lipsticks on this list, Dior’s option features a darker, matte contour, and a lighter, sparkly heart that will win your heart instantly! Long-lasting and sophisticated, it can be the best makeup investment, for sure, also due to its color, as red lipsticks are all-time classics. Get it at Nordstrom!
13. Sephora Collection Color Lip Last Lipstick in Pink Teaser
As more and more beauty gurus are pointing out, Sephora’s lipsticks last throughout the day and don’t dry the lips out, so why not try the brand’s new line of glitter lipsticks? We picked out the most versatile shade, which can be found at Sephora.
How to Get Glitter Lips
There are two ways to get the trendy glitter lip makeup look – either by acquiring one of the best glitter lipsticks on the market, which we have compiled for you above, or putting a little bit of creativity and your makeup skills (and practice) to the test. Both methods will help you dazzle throughout the night (and day, as glitter lipsticks are awesome in the daytime as well!).
So, let’s start off with how to apply glitter lipsticks, leaving the more artistic method for later.
How to Apply Glitter Lipstick Right
Whether you are going to apply a ready-made glitter lipstick or to use lip products and glitter, there’s one thing that is unavoidable, using a lip primer. Since we are talking about glitter lipsticks here, you can use any kind of lip primer you might already own, leaving specific glitter lip primers for the second method.
• Prep your lips for the glitter lipstick by exfoliating them to get rid of any dry skin that might spoil the look of your sparkling makeup, at the same time making your glitter lipstick get chapped and fade away quickly. Apply a thin layer of lip balm to moisturize your lips after the exfoliation.
• Once your lips are all ready, and smoothly covered with your lip primer, you need to grab your lips’ best friend, a.k.a. a lip liner, and outline your lips to make them look more defined. Since all lipsticks have different matching lip liners, and it might end up being quite expensive buying them all (especially if you love collecting lipsticks), we recommend investing in a good, durable, and high-quality invisible or nude lip liner, which can also actually work as a lip primer.
• Now, if your glitter lipstick is light-colored, you’ll find it easier to apply it, as there’s less room for mistakes. On the other hand, if you opted for a bold, dark-toned glitter lipstick, applying it carefully is crucial. That said, if you have applied your lip liner right, things will end up being a lot easier anyway.
Either way, you need to follow these simple steps. Apply a very thick layer of your glitter lipstick, and then blot carefully. Now, you’ll need to apply another layer, which this time around doesn’t need to be that thick and heavy. Blot again and then apply another layer on the center of your lips, outlining carefully the sides under your cupid’s bow.
• You can use a Q-tip and some concealer to erase any mistakes and to create that perfect lip line you have seen on Instagram.
• Finally set your sparkly lip makeup, using a translucent powder on the edges of your lips, right above the concealer you used there. As an optional step, you can highlight the cupid’s bow, and the outer corners of your lips to make your sparkly lip makeup even more magical.
If you want more glitter or different kinds of glitter (for example, if your lipstick shimmer is pink, and you’d love to add subtle accents of fuchsia), don’t be shy and dip your lip brush into the glitter pot! As you’ll see, applying glitter on your ready lip makeup is not that hard either!
How to Get Glitter Lips Using Regular Lipsticks and Glitter
If you have already stocked up on lipsticks aplenty, especially wet-effect ones, and would love to try out the new glittery craze without purchasing a glitter lipstick, these are the few steps you’ll have to follow!
First and foremost, you’ll need the usual lip primer and/or lip liner. As mentioned above, you can use a nude lip liner as both.
Then you’ll need a wet lipstick or a lip-gloss (this is mandatory), and, if needed, a more matte lipstick, too. While the former will make your glitter settle, the latter will give you the desired splash of color. Last but not least, you’ll need a pot of glittery pigment.
• Once your lips are all prepped like in the former case and covered with your lip primer and liner, you can start applying the wet lipstick. Whether it is transparent and glossy or colored, it is your choice! If you want a different kind of undertone and you only own a glossy, transparent lipstick, we suggest applying a colored matte lipstick underneath.
As with the ready-made glitter lipstick, here you have to apply the wet lipstick, blot, and apply a bit more product again, too. Avoid creating a thick lipstick layer, as this might make your glitter slide.
• And now it’s glitter time. Use a damp (yet not dripping wet) lip brush or a Q-tip dipped in a makeup liquid to get the glitter from the pot, making sure to always tap off the excess before applying. Use pressing movements to stick the glitter to your lip makeup starting from the center of your lips, and then working your way outwards.
• Finally you can set and highlight your…